It is undeniable, the health and wellness industry is a multi-billion dollar one and has been like that for a while now especially when the baby boomers entered their senior years. The majority of the population are simply just getting more health-conscious now. You can’t blame them as the morbidity and mortality rates keep getting higher not to mention the various risk factors that continue to threaten human health. Not even the advancements in technology that we have made are able to prolong human life. People still get sick and death is a constant reminder of our frailty. Despite this reality, it does not mean that we just give up without a fight. We can safeguard our health by taking supplements and hence the rise of the supplement’s popularity. Here at Nutrition Pros we want to make it abundantly clear that this really is the case.
Now and then we come across a supposedly wonder pill that can make all your pains and aches go away. Sometimes they work but at a cost. Often it has to do with the price other time it’s about the dreadful side effects that are sometimes just as bad as the ailment itself. Most people try to delude themselves into thinking that such a miracle pill exists and that it is the answer to their prayers and restore their health but are they all just pure hype or are there some truth to it? Is there any justice in spending hundreds, if not thousands, on health supplements that do not even have an approved therapeutic claim? Or they work like overpriced placebos that we take in the belief that it will work for us? It is time we all find out. Using something like CBD oil can really skyrocket your results if you are looking to get in shape and decrease anxiety- but other nutritional supplements can be hit or miss.
Most of you probably have a list of supplements you take daily, religiously, meaning with fail. Whether it is a multivitamin supplement that contains as many vitamins and minerals that it can or individually packaged supplements that are meant to target specific body areas or concerns, they still take a chunk of your pay and you willingly do so even with the knowledge that they may or may not work for you at all. Let’s dissect which vitamins are commonly taken by the average American and find out for real if it’s worth every penny you are paying for it. Nutricion.pro has tested all of these supplements and believes in their efficacy.
- Multivitamin – this once-a-day supplement promises to deliver a variety of vitamins and minerals at a time for your ease and convenience. You no longer have to chug down several pills at a time because you got your multivitamin covered. However, studies conducted by the American Cancer Society as well as those from the American Cancer Association and the US Preventive Services Task Force discovered that multivitamins aren’t helpful at all in preventing heart disease or cancer meanwhile the National Institutes of Health tells that this popular supplement is likewise not helpful in preventing chronic disease. The verdict is that you just go save your money or spend more on healthier food choices such as eating a balanced diet because what you eat has a bigger impact to the overall state of your health over time.
- Vitamin D – this supplement is something that the body can’t make on its own and has to come from external sources like the sun or a Vitamin D pill. If you have low Vitamin D levels, you can definitely benefit from taking the pill so as not to compromise your bone health. Your body is only able to absorb the Calcium and Phosphorus it needs if it has enough vitamin D in the system.
- Calcium – despite the abundance of dairy products that are rich in calcium, the calcium levels of most Americans are declining because fewer people drink milk. If you can tolerate drinking milk or other calcium-rich foods and drinks, it is better to take them instead rather than taking a calcium supplement and you might even be able to save yourself from a painful bout of constipation that is a common side effect of calcium supplements. Aside from that, taking calcium supplements puts you at higher risk of having a heart attack and having kidney stones, so better drink that milk or eat calcium-rich foods for the safe and sure way of getting your daily dose of calcium that your body needs.
- Vitamin B12 – now, nerve aging is normal as we age but it should not reach the point where it can make living doubly harder for you. Before you reach that point and you find out sooner that your B12 levels are lower than normal, better pop that pill then to ensure normal brain and muscle function and in this case, the supplement beat the food source as stomach acid levels affect absorption.
- Fish Oil – another popular supplement to improve cognition and prevent heart disease is fish oil. An excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, it is touted to reduce inflammation as well as promote healthy brain function but it seems that you are better off eating an oily fish rather than add another supplement to pay for.
- Magnesium – is a supplement that can save you from the pain of a muscle cramp and help boost magnesium levels of individuals diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease or deteriorating kidney function. However, be prepared to take trips to the toilet for some nasty bouts of diarrhea in case you take higher doses of magnesium apart from notable drug interactions. Hence, better consult your doctor first before adding magnesium to your daily regimen especially if you have pre-existing health conditions that should be taken into consideration.
- Glucosamine – let’s not discuss this one further and just cross it out of your list as most studies related to glucosamine showed it merely have placebo effects and no real direct benefit to your health.
There are other supplements out there that promise a cure for this and that but it helps to know which of the supplements listed here is worth your while (and cash). The best recourse here is to increase your intake of healthy food, so you will no longer rely entirely on supplements to work wonders on your body. Food, in general, is still the best source of vitamins and minerals so learn to nourish your body from within and save your money for more important things. As nutrition experts know, and sometimes say in Spanish – “Nutricion” is the way to be a Pro.